Other Than Cosmetic, What Problems Can Crooked Teeth Cause?
Patients with crooked teeth are more susceptible to developing secondary dental health complications. Correcting the alignment of your teeth can help you enjoy a more aesthetic smile and improve the integrity of the foundation of your oral health. It is never too late to straighten your teeth.
- Chronic Headaches
- Malocclusion, the misalignment of your teeth, can lead to uneven wear on your jaws and teeth. This kind of wear can lead to chronic headaches. If you find yourself with chronic headaches and no other health problems, ask your dentist or orthodontist if they may be caused by the alignment of your teeth.
- Bad Breath
- Crooked teeth cause overlapping teeth to create nooks and crannies. These nooks and crannies become perfect places for bacteria to hide when you brush and floss.
- Tooth Decay & Gum Disease
- The bacteria, plaque, and tartar can build up, especially in the areas that are hard to clean and lead to an increased risk of cavities and inflammation in the gums.
- Damage To The Teeth
- Misalignment causes uneven wear on certain teeth. It can even cause some teeth to point in the wrong direction or to rub up directly against each other. This kind of friction can leave the teeth with tiny fractures leaving the teeth susceptible to future breakage.
- TMJ Disorder
- Misalignment also causes excessive wear on your jaw and its hinge joint, the temporomandibular joint. Over time, this wear can lead to TMJ disorder, which can cause bruxism, pain in the face, neck, and shoulders, along with jaw popping and locking.
What Are My Treatment Options For Crooked Teeth?
A comprehensive consultation will help to determine which treatment options will provide ideal results depending on the condition of your teeth and the degree of misalignment present. Dr. Kaplan may recommend a combination of cosmetic and restorative procedures for the correction of tooth misalignment. Your treatment plan will be tailored to your unique dental health needs to help support long-term dental health and beautiful results.
Schedule An Appointment
Dealing with crooked teeth can be uncomfortable and a challenge, but Dr. Kaplan can help. Contact our Cincinnati, OH dentists office today if you are experiencing any of the problems described above. To schedule a check-up, call (513) 342-2644 or request an appointment online.